Corker Calls for Obama Administration to Explain Changes to Missile Defense Plans for U.S. & Europe
Friday, March 15, 2013
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – Following Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel’s announcement that the U.S. is deploying 14 ground-based missile interceptors in Alaska, U.S. Senator Bob Corker, R-Tenn., ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, today called on the Obama administration to explain changes to its missile defense plans for the United States and Europe.
“I am pleased with the decision to provide greater protection to our country from existing and emerging threats by advancing a purchase of 14 ground-based interceptors. That said, I do expect an in depth assessment to be provided between this approach and what would have occurred under the European Phased Adaptive Approach previously planned and reaffirmed under the New START treaty, including an assessment of advantages that would have been realized under full implementation of EPAA,” said Corker. “In addition, I call on the administration to go further and reposition available resources and expedite consideration for an East Coast missile defense site to ensure a more robust protection against the very real threat of ICBMs.”